Some of us may remember eating large meals on Sundays with our families and there was some type of broth included. Or our grandparents making some type of broth or stock and us wondering why they were cooking bones. Some may have even thought this was gross.
Well, our grandparents and parents might have actually been on to something we didn’t know about at the time other than our old wives tales.
Bone broth is a powerful food that contains valuable nutrients, helps heal the lining of your gut, promotes healing and can speed the healing and recuperation from illness. It is great for fighting off a cold or the flu.
It is also beneficial and a staple for the GAPS diet which is based on the Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) principles. This diet is used to treat children with autism and other disorders that are sourced to gut dysfunction.
6 Top Reasons To Eat Bone Broth
1. Promote healthy digestion: The gelatin found in bone broth is a hydrophilic colloid that attracts and holds liquids including digestive juices.
2. Reduces joint pain and inflammation: Contains chondroitin sulfates and glucosamine that are beneficial in reducing joint pain.
3. Give yourself strong and healthy bones: Healthy bone formation needs important nutrients such as calcium and magnesium which bone broth has.
4. Fight off potential infections caused by colds and viruses: Studies have been published that soups containing broths like this have medicinal qualities that significantly reduce infection risk.
5. Inflammation Fighter: Amino acids such as glycine, proline and arginine that are in bone broth have anti-inflammatory properties. Glycine may also help you sleep better through calming effects.
6. Promote healthy hair and nails: The natural gelatin extracted from the bones that you consume in the broth promotes you have having healthy hair and nails.
How to make a great bone broth
Ideally you will want to use bones from pasture fed animals to get the best natural concentration of gelatin and nutrients. You can also make different types of bone broth using beef bones or chicken bones and even fish or chicken bones. They of course each have a different flavor to them. The recipe below will be with beef bones.
This recipe is adapted from Heal Your Gut Cookbook, by Boynton & Brackett
* 3-4 pounds beef marrow and knuckle bones
* 2 pounds of meaty bones
* 1/2 cup raw apple cider vinegar
* 4 quarts filtered water
* 3 celery stalks, halved
* 3 carrots, halved
* 3 onions, quartered
* A small handful of fresh parsley.
* Sea salt
1. Place bones in a pot or crockpot, add apple cider vinegar and water. Let the mixture sit for 1 hour so the vinegar can leach the mineral out of the bones.
2. Add enough water to cover the bones.
3. You will now add the vegetables to the pot and bring the mixture to a boil. Once it starts boiling skim the scum that forms at the top and discard it.
4. Reduce to a low simmer while covering. Cook it for 24-72 hours. This is where I prefer a crockpot instead of a pot on the stove since it is safer to leave the crockpot unattended for many hours.
5. Add the small handful of fresh parsley during the last 10 minutes of cooking for added flavor.
6. Turn off the heat and let cool. Once cooled strain it making sure all the marrow is removed out of the marrow bones and into the broth.
7. You can add sea salt to taste. You can use it now in soups and stews or drink as is. It is good for 5-7 days in the refrigerator. You can also freeze some of it to be used later.
I hope you enjoy this bone broth recipe and make sure to thank your grandparents for making you eat this when you were a child. 🙂 They were providing you with immense health benefits.
Don’t forget to share this recipe with your family and friends by clicking the Share Buttons below. Also, leave me a question or comment below and let me know what questions I can answer for you. If you want to see a specific type of recipe be sure to let me know and I will get you recipes you need.
If you haven’t yet picked this up make sure you do so today. It is a laid out 30 day weight loss meal plan. Every meal is laid out for you for 30 days. It includes healthy delicious and easy to make recipes.
All meals are simple to make so you aren’t spending hours in the kitchen and you don’t have to be a chef to create this delicious meals.
If you want to lose weight fast you need to have proper meal planning. Here is your meal planning all laid out for you for the next 30 days.
Grab it now!